Monday, June 28, 2010

English Conversations / Dinner Party Ideas

This tutorial English conversations- Dinner Party Ideasas been prepared from my well known book English conversations for all occasions, which I wrote for Indian students to improve everyday conversations..



English Conversations - Dinner Party Ideas 

the dinner party - Table and Chairs

 Dinner Party Ideas
                                                                                             Dinner Party Ideas


English Conversation-the dinner party

Ranjan and Reena sent the dinner invitations to their friends, Niren and Prema for an entertaining party at their house. Mr and Mrs.Verma have gone out of station on a holidays travel and have taken Vikram along with them.
Ranjan & Reena sat down to decide the dinner entertaining activities. They decided the dinner party recipes .They discuss the food  to be cooked. They decide to cook vegetarian food recipes instead of chicken foods.
Reena Yes. All the Dinner party food is cooked. It has only to be heated up. Mrs.Ganapati was very sweet and helped me with the cooking dinner party foodthis morning.
Ranjan Who is going to make the puris? It will look very rude if you go off tokitchen for half an hour before the dinner party to heat the dinner party foodand fry the puris.

Dinner party food

Reena Don’t worry, Bachoo can make puris, I’ll slip away for just a few minutes to arrange the Dining tables and chairs.
Ranjan That is better. Is everything else in order ? How about the drinks with the dinner party?
Reena The dining tables and chairs are is laid, the house cleaned with the help of Vacuum Cleaner and the flower decoration. All the fruit drinks and soda drinks have been kept in the Refrigerator to be chilled. I’ve arranged theglasses on a tray. Now, does that satisfy you?
Ranjan This is the first time that our friends are coming over for dinner and that is why I want dinner party planning to be just right.
Reena I wonder whether they’ll be expecting a big dinner party. They’ll be terribly disappointed to find just the two of us.
Ranjan No. They know that it will be just the four of us. In fact, I told them that the dinner party is not very big, but asked them to spend an evening with us and have potluck after that.
Reena Oh ! I forgot to mention to you that Prema telephoned and asked whether she could bring along a cousin of hers who has come from Bombay.

Dining tables and chairs

Ranjan I see. That is why you’ve laid five places for the dinner party. Anyway, who is the cousin ? A lady or a gentleman?
Reena I really don’t know. I didn’t ask her.
Ranjan Do we have some good western music?
Reena Yes. I’ve want to listen Classical music. It will rather set the mood for the evening. And another thing Ranjan, for heaven’s sake, please don’t talk shop the whole evening. That will be very boring for the cousin and for me. Besides, don’t you talk shop about bulbs and tubes in the office?
Ranjan All right, all right. Don’t get so worked up. I know it is not polite manner totalk business at a party.
The bell rings. Reena has a quick look at the mirror and parts her hair into place

Classical music

Reena Ranjan, am I looking all right for the dinner party?
Ranjan Just fine. They are at the door. I’ll go and get them.
Reena Just a moment, Ranjan. Should I keep the outdoor wall light  on or should I switch off , switch on the table lamps? They give a softer effect.
Ranjan Do what you like. But make it right enough for us to be able to see each other. Let it not be such dim lights that we can’t see beyond our noses.
Ranjan goes to the door and receives party guest. Reena waits for them in theSitting  room. The guests enter.
Niren Good evening, Reena.
Prema Hello Reena. You haven’t met my cousin, Tilak Sharma. Tilak, this is Reena.
Tilak How do you do?
Reena Well thank you. I understand that you’ve come recently from Bombay.
Tilak Yes, that is right. And I am a lucky man to have been invited for the dinner party to your lovely home on my first day in Delhi.

Sitting room

Reena You are very kind. Are you on a holidays travel or will you be staying long.
Tilak For the moment, I am on a business trip. But there is a possibility of my being posted to Delhi.
Prema Now before you start quarreling. What will you have for drink?
Prema Any fruit drink or soda drink.
Ranjan Tilak, what about you?
Tilak I’ll join you in whatever fruit drink you are having?
Ranjan You have a choice of beer, gin-and-lime or a cider or would you prefer a whisky and soda? Niren, how about you?
Niren I’ll have  best beer, if you have any.
Ranjan Yes, we have best beer. And Tilak, what is your preference?
Ranjan Reena, what would you like to drink?
Reena I’ll have a soda drink, please.
Ranjan Would everyone like ice in the drinks?
Prema Not for me please. If it is chilled in the fridge that is good enough for me. Thank you.
Ranjan brings in the tray of drinks and serves them around.

drinks mix

Tilak Today weather is very good. I must say you have very pleasant weather in Delhi. Bombay was hot and sultry. One perspires so much in Bombay that one’s clothes are soaked within minutes of getting out of the house.
Niren Is that so? I’ve never been to Bombay. I would very much like to visit theBombay city one day. I’ve heard a lot about the city. I believe it is very big and busy and the traffic is unbelievable. It is one of thebiggest business centrestoo.
Reena There, you people start  business talk and money-making , again.
Niren Sorry, Reena. That was not meant to disturb your pretty head. I must compliment you on the flowers decorations. A very artistically arranged.
Prema And the clssical music is so soothing. Have you bought any new records or cds.
Ranjan To tell you the truth, the classical music CD are brought by either Reena or our kid brother Vikram

Bombay City

Reena excuses herself and lays the dinner dishes on a side tray.
Reena Prema, Tilak, Niren, dinner is served. Shall we move over to the dinning room?
Prema Just as you wish.
They all move to the dinning room. The lights are switched off and only candles are lit on the dinning table.
Prema Fabulous.What is dessert menu
Niren Ice Cream with chocolate.So romantic
Reena We are going to have a combination of a buffet with a sitting dinner. Please serve yourselves at this side board and then sit at the table.
They seat themselves, eat the dinner, and admire the good cooking.
Reena Shall we have coffee in the room?
Prema If you say so, yes.
They move back to the sitting room. Have coffee and chat a bit. Then the guests are ready to leave.
Prema Well thank you so much for a delightful evening Reena. Thank you Ranjan. Goodnight.
Tilak Reena, many thanks for having me over the dinner party at the last moment. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Goodnight and thank you again. (to Ranjan) Thanks. I hope we can meet again sometime.
Niren Reena, dinner party ideas were superb. You must have worked very hard. Thank you for asking me over. I hope this won’t be the last time. Good night
Reena Ranjan, see you in the morning.

No comments: